I Heart Art: Scott Campbell

I like looking at (and once in a while buying) art online. I'm mostly interested in prints and silk-screened posters because they are, well, affordable. I'm also quite taken by the idea of supporting living, breathing artists and having unique art in my home rather than prints of very common pieces by long dead artists (Don't get me wrong though, I like a good Van Gogh as much as the next person). But there are a lot of talented artists whose prints you can buy online for $20 or $30 and I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

A couple of weeks ago I bought another Tiny Showcase print.


This print is actually a diptych by artist Scott Campbell (or Scott C) and it's titled "The Cute Hunter." I've been a fan of his work for a couple of years, but this is the first print of his that I've bought. I love Scott's use of watercolor combined with his whimsical/somewhat old-timey subject matter. I bought this set with the idea of hanging them in E.'s room, but after I get them framed (I thinking that they would look great with an old-fashioned brocade mat) I might end up snagging them for somewhere else in the house.


I think a lot of his prints would be great in kids' rooms. I have been coveting this awesome ninja battle print (make sure you check out the details on the right) for E.'s room. But it's kind of pricey and huge. But a set of these two prints would also be great in a kids room.


I first discovered Scott's work through the web site of the art gallery Nucleus. Their website used to be kind of clunky and take forever to load but they redesigned it about a year ago and it's great now. The gallery is located in L.A. and is high on my list of places to go the next time we're in L.A., whenever that will be. Nucleus carries a lot of artists that work in the comics industry and they put on a lot of cool themed shows. After each show they're pretty good about putting prints of the exhibition pieces up on their site for sale and so it's fun to check and see what's new.


If you want to see all of Scott's prints that Nucleus carries you can do that here. Scott also has a comic coming out on August 1st that I'm excited about (and have already pre-ordered) and his blog has updates on projects that he's working on.


(Wow, I had no idea I was such a gushing fanboy of Scott's work until I just reread this post. Yikes. I need to calm down!) Anyway, I've got to go hop on the Nordic-Track and exercise and so I think I'll save the other artists I like for later posts.



Labels: