Jewelry Boxes: Update 3

Woodworking class was pretty fun this week. I was getting worried that I would run out of time and not be able to finish the jewelry boxes, but we have five more classes left and I think I'm in good shape since I got the boxes glued together this last week.

Sanding the insides of the boxes with a sequence of 80, 100, 120, and 150-grit sandpaper.

Making sure everything's ready to glue.

I put a dab of glue in each of the tails and clamped the box together.

The assembled boxes.

Apparently when I cut the dovetails some of the pieces weren't exactly flush in the jig; in the above photo you can see some gaps on some of the joints. My instructor said that he'll help me shim the gaps with some slivers of walnut to fill them in.

After I got the boxes glued together I started cutting the curly maple and lacewood I'm going to use for the lids. Next week I'll get the lids glued together and hopefully start working on the tray inserts.

Labels: ,