N came home from work last night with an hankering to make some soup. He wanted to use of the last of a ham we had to make a bean soup but we didn't have any beans so he made an Indian red lentil soup with ham instead.
Recipe: N's Red Lentil Soup
- In a large pot chop and sweat one yellow onion in oil
- Add 2 cups red lentils (masoor dal), washed and picked clean and three diced red potatoes
- 3 cups water and Indian seasonings to taste (N used garam masala and Madras curry powder).
- Simmer over low heat for half an hour or until lentils soften and thicken, adding additional water as necessary.
- Add one cup diced ham (or other protein) and one can diced tomatoes and more water if necessary, simmer some more.
- Immediately before removing from heat add two handfuls of washed spinach leaves and serve with a dollop of plain yogurt.
Labels: food, N., recipes