My First Quilt: Update 1

This last weekend I was finally able to get started on my rainbow zigzag quilt. I'm using this tutorial from the very fun blog, A Quilt Is Nice.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the pattern question. After WAY too much deliberation I finally decided to go with the reflected rainbow pattern, with the purples in the middle. This is the final order of the fabrics:

I had never used a rotary cutter before so it took me a bit of practice to get the hang of it (I only wasted a small piece of one fabric) but after working through the kids' Saturday afternoon nap I got all my squares cut out.

Then I paired up the squares, pinned them together, and used a fabric marker to draw a line across the diagonal.

Then I used the 1/4" quilting setting on my sewing machine to sew two stitched lines each 1/4" away from the line I drew earlier. I still have a few more squares to sew together and then it's on to the next step.

I'm kind of surprised by how much I'm enjoying this project. I love these fabrics so much that just looking at them while I work is fun and while the work is repetitious enough to be relaxing each stage is over pretty quickly so I don't get too bored. I'm sure that I'm making PLENTY of mistakes, but so far I'm having fun.


Labels: ,