Room Mom

I don't want to jinx it--but I think I have finally gotten my feet under me (phew!)  The first month of school was crazy but I mostly have myself to blame.  When we attended back-to-school night I noticed that there were two slots for people to sign up at room parents for E's class.  I had already signed up to help in the classroom and for class parties but it was later in the day and no one had signed up to be room parent yet so I put my name down for one of the spots WHICH I HAVE COME TO REGRET.

No one else signed up, so it's just me being Room Mom.  I think I've spent over 6 hours since school started writing and responding emails, creating spreadsheets to coordinate volunteers' schedules, creating a calendar, attending meetings, emailing parents to get volunteers for the school carnival, emailing parents AGAIN to beg them to hep with the carnival because no one volunteered, etc...ugh.

But things seemed to have calmed down and in October the only thing I need to plan is the class Halloween party which shouldn't be too bad.  On the positive side,  being Room Mom means that I have a fairly good idea of what's going on it the classroom which is nice.  E's teacher is awesome--a fun, chill-but-firm man who has been teaching for 30 years.  I was worried about E's transition to all-day school but he has been doing well.  I think/hope he's going to have a great year.


Labels: ,