Woodworking Fall 09: Week 3

I decided to redo the lids of my jewelry boxes so they sit on top of the box instead of sitting flush inside the box. This will allow me to use a different sort of hinge and work around the lame lid-won't-open problem I encountered last semester.

I also decided to use this opportunity to kick up the design of the lids a bit. I'm going to use a technique similar to the one I used to make my cutting boards and create a checkerboard design for the lids.

This is a fun opportunity to use some interesting (and pricey) exotic woods since I only need a board foot of each.

From top to bottom: purpleheart, African lacewood, walnut, bloodwood, and curly maple.

I cut one-inch strips of each wood and glue them together, alternating woods. In the foreground are bloodwood and walnut and in the background are lacewood and maple.

This blank is made up of purple heart and curly maple.

After so much gluing my hands were pretty gnarly.

Class was a lot of fun and I'm excited for next week.

I'm looking forward to the weekend--N's taking me to the Melting Pot for a belated birthday dinner. (Yum!)

I hope you have a great weekend!


Labels: ,